Nursing: It's Coming Together

5:13:00 PM

Hi all, I'm now four weeks deep in my Junior 2 semester, also known as the dread of all USF nursing students. We're told Junior 2 is a scary place where we will meet our impending doom but also finally everything will come together and we'll feel like real nurses; which is all we really strive for. So alas, here I am a month in and I have to say, there are no signs of impending doom, just a TON of really dense material.

Somehow we went from shadowing nurses to being almost completely in charge of critically ill patients, and I'm still not quite sure how that happened. We're now expected to provide essentially complete nursing care for at least two patients during a clinical shift, and by the end of the semester will be coordinating and caring for four patients, EEEKK. That's scary stuff guys. That means assessments, meds, compassion, safety, special accommodations, and caring for medical conditions for FOUR sick people!!!! In other news, this is the semester where we learn all the fun skill stuff, or in my opinion, the things that make you feel like a real nurse, like blood draw and IV insertions and such. So that's pretty legit. 

Nursing has always felt like a given for me. But as I enter this Junior 2 semester I've been reflecting a lot on what brought me to where I am today.
I am lucky to come from a family of women who taught me the essence of selflessness. Nursing runs blood deep for me. I am joining my grandmother, aunt, mother and sister in the ranks of strong nurses.
I was raised by a woman who embodies the word compassion. My mom is truly what people speak of when they talk about a nurse. She is capable, patient, skilled (in all things medical and mom), consistent, and will care for anyone and everyone far above and beyond the norm with no complaint.

 My sister is the definition of hard work. She set me such high standards at USF studying her booty off with a big ol' brain full of knowledge to show for it. She has the education, she has impeccable skills, the compassion my mother exemplified for us both, the passion she grew in herself, which drives her passion to change the world, healing one sick kid at at time.

I am lucky, I know. When I came to USF my mom gave me a gift. She lent me for these 4 years the stethoscope she used in the 80's as she went to nursing school at Penn State. It is the same one she used during my childhood when sick neighbors or even myself needed an assessment on the fly. It is the same one my older sister learned and practiced with during her 4 years at USF. And now it is mine. I carry it around with me to class and to the hospital and every time I use it I know I belong. I am so proud to be entering the "family business" and only hope to be the kind of nurses my family has shown to be.




You Might Also Like

0 comments