Spring Break in Florida

11:32:00 PM

Well I'll start with the fact that this post is two weeks late, oops! That should give you a good idea of just how crazy life is right now. It's been two weeks back in SF and I'm still dreaming of afternoons spent on the beach. I wanted to share my fun family trip to Florida for Spring Break, it was a much-needed mental breather and such a treat to be with my favorite people in my favorite place! 


A little backstory on where my family goes in Florida: Back in the 90s my grandparents were looking for a warm getaway from New York and they bought a condo at Gulf and Bay in Siesta Key, Florida just outside Tampa. In the almost 18 years since they bought the place it has been the scene of countless family trips, reunions, spring breaks, and is the location of many of my most treasured memories. Throughout my childhood I've spent more time there than any other place except Santa Rosa and it truly is my second home and something special for my entire Dad's side of the family. As many of you know my Grandpa passed away this Fall and this spring break was my family's first time reuniting in Florida without him. He was definitely missed but being in his favorite place made it easier to remember the sweet memories! We were all happy to spend some time with my Grandma who is of course missing him the most! 



The week kicked off with Mom, Dad, Chris, and I meeting up with Sara and Maddie in Tampa on Saturday night. Maddie has come to Florida quite a few times with us and we just consider her a fourth child at this point. My family doesn't get the chance to be all together much anymore, so we all reveled in catching up. And we began the vacation rightfully at our favorite ice cream place, Big Olafs. It's this sweet little family owned joint on Siesta Key that makes amazing ice cream that is just the most perfect thing after a day in the sun and it's always packed. I always spend the week pretending I'm not lactose intolerant because its just way too good to pass up! 

Sunday was a perfect day one. The key is getting quite crowded after being named Trip Advisor's Best Beach in the US and 5th Best in the world this year! No joke guys, check this out! Needless to say the beach was more crowded than ever.


 We spent the day on the beach rotating between tanning, walking, playing in the water and making fools of ourselves playing Spike Ball. One thing poor Maddie did not inherit is the Shanahan ability to avoid a sunburn, so she got the brunt of a day one burn that took more than a week to wear off, yikes! We spent the evening, and every night after, catching up, talking as a family over dinner and cozying up by the TV with my Grandma. 

Monday was rainy but we took advantage and partook in our favorite rainy day activity - shopping!! Being from California I am not used to real storms so I love a good Florida Thunderstorm and the weather definitely delivered! It poured so much we got flood warnings at dinner, but that couldn't stop us from heading into the rain for ice cream! 


Tuesday was a little chilly and very windy so we kept our beach access to a walk and hit up the pool instead. Truly there is nothing more relaxing than lying by a pool all day in the sun when you have nothing to do. We did get a cool sunset out of it though! 



Wednesday Sara sadly left us to head back to real life! Maddie, Chris and I made the best of the sun with another pool day and walk on the beach. They even convinced me to go see the new X-man movie which shockingly, I loved! 

Thursday Maddie and I woke up super early and hit the road for Orlando! We have both been HUGE Harry Potter nerds since about 1st grade. I'm not talking normal childhood interest, I'm talking obsessed. Maddie has read the series something like 17 times and actually ran an Instagram famous Harry Potter account for a while (who is she lol). I read the series a less impressive 12 times and accompanied her to book releases and movie releases in costume of course. 

So needless to say it was a must for us to go to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Studios Orlando. We were skeptical at first, thinking it couldn't be super amazing but figured since we were this close we had to check it out. GUYS, let me tell you, we were dead wrong. This park was seriously the coolest!!! We got there and were immediately so impressed with the design of Hogwarts and Hogsmeade, they look so spot on, just like you'd image from the books (or as spot on as a made up wizarding world can look in the middle of Florida okay?). 


We jumped right in line for the castle ride and proceeded to wait about an hour thinking we were again going to be disappointed. But I should have heightened my standards because WOW this ride was amazing. The line weaves through the castle and shows Lupin's Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom, the House Points system, and the talking art on the walls just like the movies! Then they strap you in and you "fly" around Hogwarts in an interactive ride (think California Screamin' vibes) and they even spray you with spider spit (water), and blow air at you and such. It was awesome we could not stop talking about it!!! 

The second ride, a roller coaster with the dragon was pitiful honestly but we couldn't have cared less because we were still too obsessed with the first ride. Then we headed to the Three Broomsticks restaurant and had lunch. Guys this is important info. I know people hype the Butterbeer, and you absolutely have to get that (its like creamy toffee soda and wow I was in love) but also this is not the time to skimp people, you also need to get the Pumpkin Fizz because holy moley that was like Fall in my mouth. It was basically PSL meets smokey apple cider and judge all you want but don't knock it till ya try it. You may be thinking no two drinks is too much but you are wrong, get both and thank me later. As you can tell from my rant about food we basically spent the rest of the time eating, drinking, taking pics and generally geeking out. At the end of the day we probably dropped more money than we can justify but wow what a day, it was amazing and I'm so glad we went!! 




And if you thought the fun stopped there you are wrong friends!!! Thursday night the condo complex threw this sports themed pool party. And I use the term pool party pretty loosely because Chris, Maddie and I were about the only people under 55 there and no one went in the pool. It was basically an entire pool deck full of old people repping their alma maters, getting drunk, and eating pork sliders. Needless to say we had an awesome time and Maddie got into some unavoidable arguments about how Alabama was better at football than this school or that school while I focused on my chicken wings. We finished it off with an amazing sunset for Chris's last night. All in all a top notch day. 





Friday Chris headed back to SF and Maddie somehow convinced me to walk 6 miles on the beach (still not sure how she did that). It was the best day yet weather-wise and we walked till we just about dropped into the sand and baked in the hot sun. We spent the afternoon in and out of the glassy water, napping and reading books and talking. 




Now its been 15 years and Maddie and I still somehow never run out of things to talk about and there is still nothing that fills my soul quite like a beach day walking and talking with her in the sun, wrapped up perfectly with a stunning sunset, good food, and ice cream of course. Love you MGH!!! What an ideal last day. 



Saturday we left, boo!! But that didn't stop us from an early walk to solidify Madeline's burns ha! It was sad to say goodbye to such a perfect week but I had an amazing time with my family and siblings and best friend! A big thanks to my parents for the week of relaxation, I appreciate you so much!! 

Bye for now FL!! 


You Might Also Like

0 comments